Sunday, July 4, 2010

Everything

And (after two refreshing, sometimes frustrating, Internetless weeks) . . . we're back!

The Skinny:

The Move. All went well. Thanks to our Dads, Moms, Rachel, Micah, Julia, Amanda, Laurel, Thomas, and Richard for making the packing possible. We had a few adventures on our long journey, including an intoxicated, shirtless man in Macon, MO who could back a trailer and 22-foot truck up a dead-end road better than I could. Below you'll find a short reel from our drive. Don't watch this if you don't like me. It won't help.




The Place. We love it! Our apartment is spacious (by our standards), close to the Metro (I can walk) and the view out the window is just beautiful. Despite a few setbacks (wasps nest above the kitchen light, bike stolen, and no water today) it has all gone swimmingly. Speaking of which, we've had a great time in the apartment's swimming pool. A great way to relax after a long day.

The Job. Really great. I couldn't be happier in my job. The people are the best, the environment is totally my style--very team-focused and action-oriented--and my actual position, the FedExperience Program Coordinator, is challenging and exciting stuff. It's a clean 40 hour week each week, they are very family-friendly, and I have completely satisfactory pay and benefits. What more could I ask for?

The District. What a great place! We've been out two weeks and have hit up the Natural History Museum, the Zoo, Strathmore, a concert at the temple visitor's center, and the dress rehearsal for the Capitol Fourth Concert. And we're just getting started!

Enjoy the pictures.

I'd never seen a baby flamingo before. They make me laugh.

The Pregnancy. Again, all is well. Ariel has done absolutely amazingly with the packing, moving, and unpacking. My admiration never ceases to grow. "She's got more grit than any girl I've ever seen," as Huck would say. As of our last appointment all was well with Baby Ben. She's full-term today, so it could be any time! We've found a birthing center nearby that may be just the ticket. We're looking forward to another beautiful birth and another beautiful boy. Speaking of which . . .

Beautiful Boy #1. He's so amazing. Whether singing songs, quoting "Boundin'", drawing pictures, helping his Mama, or anything else, we just can't get enough of little Abe. He is ready for big brotherhood. Here's a little clip of the tyke on his birthday from last week. For the record, that's not a trick candle we gave him. Anyway, he's cute. Enjoy.


Finally, I can't help but write a few words about the country. I love this country. I love the freedom that I've been born into and enjoyed all of my life. I love America for its innovation, pastimes, creativity, family values, and for its beauty. I'm grateful to be a part of this promised land at this time, and feel that, for the most part, we are moving in positive directions. God bless America!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

That just made my entire day! You guys really are the most adorable family. That little Abe had me rolling! haha. Best of luck with the delivery and getting settled.

Meredith said...

Oh my goodness! That "full-term" bit caught me by surprise. It has completely snuck up on me! Go get 'em Ariel!

I loved watching these videos and looking at the pictures. I honestly check your blog every day to see if you have updated. Thanks so much for sharing!

Love from the Land,
Meredith

John and Ann said...

Sounds like you all are doing so well. We are happy for your growing family.

Natalie said...

Wow you guys are awesome! DC, what a fun place to live! I only got to go there for two days while I lived in hartford, but I LOVED it, you are right there really is so much to do! I am way excited for Abe to become a big brother! It is amazing, because you think they are amazing already just wait until he shows you his big brothering skills. I love watching linc with his little sister:) I hope all goes well with that! Good luck!

Jarilyn said...

Oh man, I miss you guys! I'm so glad to hear the updates from you. I'm so happy that things are going so well and that the job, apartment, and life in general are so great.

Alison Rae said...

I had been waiting for an update! I am so glad you are loving DC! Keep us posted!!

Candace Shawn Elsie and Max said...

Looks like so much fun. I can't wait to come out and see you guys... No idea when that'll be but i really want to :)

sarahflib said...

Glad you made it and that things are going well! That would be awesome to have a swimming pool in the apartment complex. We are excited to join you guys in D.C. this fall. Good luck with the new baby!