Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"What a Wonderful Man"

That's what my mom said when she saw this picture of my handsome husband.



Yesterday, Andrew had a recital for his cello students. He's a wonderful teacher. Imagine the challenge to get six boys between the ages of 8 and 14 excited about playing the cello! But that's just what he does. He does it first by example- each of those boys knows that Andrew is enthusiastic about music, and the cello. He also teaches them how to make cool animal sounds using different parts of the cello (he can also make it look and sound like he's taking a bite out of his cello!). How does he get an 8th grader to be excited about Bach? Every lesson he draws a picture for him that shows the boy and Bach doing something fun together- fishing, going to a movie, even going to the moon! The boys and the parents love Andrew. They'd bend over backwards to keep Andrew as a teacher. I've even been trying to save up enough money to afford him as a teacher!



Playing the "Indiana Jones" theme as the encore of the recital.

3 comments:

Candace said...

I love it! I had no idea! Way to keep music alive and keep those 'would-be-hooligans' in line! Woot!

Whitney said...

You should have seen this man's face light up when we walked into an investigator's house and there was a cello just sitting there. He couldn't sit still for a week. It's good to see you're still going at it my man. Oh, and be sure to let us know when the baby blessing is...at least then we'll get off our cans to come visit you guys. Be good, friends!

Natalie said...

That is so wonderful! I teach piano to ten kiddies back in CT. I miss them! It really is such a wonderful feeling to instill that love of music in others. You guys are so great! I love reading your posts!