Friday, October 10, 2008

Best Pals


Abraham and I go everywhere together. We're only apart for one hour a week when Andrew and I go on a date, and it just about kills Abe and me.

Abe has a pretty short attention span, so after he's done with his five minutes of tummy or toy time, he's ready for me to pick him up again.

For the last few hours I tried to get him to fall asleep doing all the tricks in the book. When I was tired of all that, I just put him in my bed, laid down next to him, and he was out in a matter of seconds. Oh- he just woke up. I guess he noticed I left. Abraham is a very light sleeper-unless I'm holding him. He could sleep in my arms through anything. I'm holding the sleeping boy right now, in fact.

Sometimes I do worry about spoiling him. I always think he is the best behaved baby in the world, but then again, I always attend to his needs immediately. I just can't bare to see him sad.

But then again, isn't that the way mothers and their babies are supposed to be? I think of women I have seen in Latin America- how they will carry their children on their backs until they can walk. They don't seem to be concerned with raising children who are over-dependent or spoiled. I just figure that he'll grow up fast enough. He'll want to be dependent from me before I'm ready for him to go. I'm okay if he doesn't want to go to kindergarten. And if he has a hard time leaving home at 19, I'd happily be his mission companion.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

U are such a cute mom!! I totally feel the same way as you!!! :)

Eliza said...

I agree... they are only little for so short a time, soak it up for all it's worth!!

He is such a cutie. I'm impressed that you and Andrew go on a date every week still. Paul and I should have been better at that. And now that we live away from all our family and friends with another baby soon to arrive, date night will probably be nearly non-existent :-(

Natalie said...

I know what you mean. I love rocking linc to sleep and every time he cries I run over and pick him up. I am like you I can't stand seeing him sad. Scott and I have decided this is the only child which we can spoil because there isn't another kid around asking why the other gets special treatment. So I say keep doing what you are doing! Pretty soon he will be running away from you! He is getting so chubs by the way! I love it!!!

Rita said...

I cant agree more... (Im Nonie's friend btw) I read this blog and boy does it ring true for Dennis and me. I put him down and he is fussing right now... but sometimes I just get tired of typing with one hand. He sleeps with me too. Its the only way either of us gets any at all.

Nonie said...

Thanks for that super post, Ariel. I love that he gets both hands in his mouth! Abraham reminds me of Samuel in both looks and temperament. I just want to give him a big kiss! Soon enough, soon enough...

But, you know, you really could come to California for cheap. We know this great bed and breakfast on Green Street in Temple City. :)

Meredith said...

I love that little guy. And I brag about his parents all the time. :)

Shauna said...

I love your blog! What adorable pictures :) Thanks for sharing!