Monday, October 20, 2008

Elevated

Ariel and Abraham left to visit Grandma Galli on Thursday. I've been a wreck. Between thinking about them, midterm papers/projects/exams, and constant political debating with friends and family this weekend, I'm worn out (speaking of which, I will have a post I've worked on for the last couple of weeks up soon regarding my opinions on the current presidential campaign). My head has been swimming, and I've been having trouble focusing on schoolwork, sleeping, and scripture study. For these reasons am I grateful today for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a true and living organization.

My sweet sister Meredith invited me to attend the annual temple workers devotional in the Solemn Assembly Room in the Salt Lake Temple this morning at 8:00 a.m. where President Monson spoke. Hearing the prophet teach and testify of the Savior in the temple was an extraordinary experience for me. President Monson is God's prophet, and a vibrant example of how true, and how living this organization is. I left edified.


Later today, in Priesthood meeting, we discussed Joseph Smith's letters to Emma during his many times away from the family. I miss Ariel and Abe a LOT right now, but my situation is insignificant compared to his. I know where she is, I know when she's coming home, I can talk to her when I want, and I have even seen pictures of her on the trip. The Spirit taught me in church today how blessed I am to have Ariel and little Abe, and witnessed to me of the nobility and strength Joseph and Emma possessed.


Finally, this evening I was able to gain a witness of the apostolic authority manifest in the Church. Elder Richard G. Scott came to BYU and gave a fireside in Portuguese to all of the Portuguese speakers who could attend. I could go on and on about the many things I learned in the two hours. He answered questions, he shared many experiences, but what struck me the most was his closing testimony.

He said, (translated from Portuguese), "The Church is directed by the Lord Jesus Christ. I have no words to express my feelings about Him. He lives. I know this, because I know Him."

The words penetrated me. This Church lives, because of the Spirit that weaves through our spirits and connects us to truth. It lives because of living apostles and prophets. It lives because Christ lives, and it is His Church. I know He is the Savior of mankind, and that He presides over and directs The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church's growth proves its living nature. Individual and collective revelation empower the organization with life. I feel blessed, and thank Heavenly Father for this knowledge.

It's going to be a good week. And Ariel comes home tomorrow.

9 comments:

Lark said...

Andrew, Thanks for this inspiring blog. Your wife and son are just as anxious to see you tonight as you them.

Spencer said...

So, how exactly do you get invited to a Solemm Assembly in the temple? That's amazing. I didn't realize there was something like that for people other than general authorities.

Also, I would be really curious to know what your thoughts on the presidential campaign are. I'm a recent convert to following politics, and it's "interesting" to say the least.

And finally, I've given some thought to our "Dark Knight" discussion lately, and I can't help but think that maybe you were right. It's an incredible movie, but it is a stretch to say that it's uplifting. And if it's not uplifting, is it really worth seeing? I'm still not 100% sure either way. But, good job on sticking to your guns.

ann said...

Andrew- you're inspiring. I love the simple boldness of your testimony. I agree with you, I thought the Relief Society/Priesthood lesson Sunday was beautiful and inspiring, especially considering the social uproar surrounding the family recently. Thank you.

Jess said...

Andrew, I was there that morning too. I saw your sister and I thought I saw your mom. It was an amazing experience, wasn't it? I felt so privileged to be in the Temple with the Prophet, wow!

Jess said...

Oh, and after speaking with Tommy, I am quite interested to hear about your thoughts of the presidential campaign so that I can understand why you think the way you do!

Andrew and Ariel said...

Spencer--I was mistaken. It was in the Solemn Assembly Room of the Salt Lake Temple, but it was a devotional for temple workers with President Monson as the speaker.

Jessica--I look forward to posting about my political opinion. The post should be up Wednesday. Unless your views have changed since your recent post, you may not agree much with mine. But that's alright; dialogue is all about building a pool of greater meaning.

Ashley said...

Thanks for your inspiring post.

Nonie said...

Thanks for sharing, Andrew. You have such great faith.

Natalie said...

I am sorry you are missing your sweet little family! But it sounds like you have had a wonderful time nonetheless. I really loved that last sentence of Elder Scott's testimony! How powerful!