Sunday, May 3, 2009

LDS.org - Media

For some time now I have waited for a talk dedicated to the media. It is something that I feel can be detrimental to our spirituality and at the same time seems easily rationalized by Latter-day Saints--please forgive the crude generalization.
This talk, given tonight by Elder Bednar, is something I have been waiting for. He describes a unique danger found in using the Internet, the danger it brings to one of our primary purposes for mortality: to have and enjoy a body. I look forward to more talks like this, and feel that they will come as the tidal wave of media continues to crash down.

Sometimes I catch myself looking at life through a virtual lens. I'll take a picture and think about putting it on Facebook, or shoot a video and think about putting it on the blog, rather than enjoying the present, REAL, moment. I find myself gravitating to the computer when I have free time (not to do anything wrong . . . check email, news, etc.) rather than reading, running, talking with real people, or jumping on a trampoline. This talk hit home for me, even though I don't identify with the extreme examples he used.*

Please watch this if you have not, it is worth your time. The Spirit taught me some important lessons that I personally need to apply in this regard as I listened. Speaking of which, I am off to go on a walk with my family.


Elder Bednar's Talk


*In the talk he did say somewhat emphatically that technology is not a good or bad thing in and of itself. I do think that blogs produce a fairly high fidelity rendition of reality, and that they have potential to do much good. So we will continue to blog, and you will continue to see Hammie's little life unfold, for family and friends to enjoy.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

There are times when I find myself gravitating towards to the computer during free time as well and I have to make a conscious effort to do something else... I loved Elder Bednar's talk as well.

made sweet said...

The talk was so amazing! I loved hearing your thoughts on the matter.