Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Package to Friends in Haiti

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID12837/images/haiti.jpg

When I worked at International Church Distribution, I had the great opportunity to work closely with wonderful members of the Church in Latin America and the Caribbean. I have stayed in contact with one man in Haiti, Prosner. After the earthquake hit, I asked him if he and his family were okay, and if we could do anything to help. He said, "The country is in trouble, we are in trouble but we have the gospel. Last time it was impossible for to buy milk for the kids but sisters from Santo Domingo sent me. Please continue to keep us in your prayer." Prosner and his family live right in Port-au-Prince, but are safe. However, it has been difficult for them to buy some basic things to take care of their two year-old and seven month-old children. When I asked what we could do to help he wrote, "Thank you so much for continue to think about me and my friends here. We still need baby food and baby suplies and you can can help with that it will be very welcome." He added that it would be helpful to send him:
Baby Food
Baby Clothes (for boys and girls ages 0-3)
Baby shampoo and soap
Hand Sanitizer
Diapers
The best carrier to send items down to Haiti has just started shipping things to Haiti again. I'm sure that any surplus he gets he will share with his neighbors and those who are in great need. The soap and shampoo will be the most expensive to ship because of it's weight, so more clothes are preferred. This is a unique opportunity to send materials directly to those in need without having to go through an organization or anything. If you would like to help, you are welcome to bring things to my apartment, or the house of my parents or Andrew's parents. If you're going to drop it off at my parents or in-laws, get it to them by Friday at 1 p.m. (sorry for the short notice!). If you're dropping it off to my apartment, please have it to me by Monday. I'll send the package(s) Tuesday. Contact me if you need more specific information. If you would rather, you are welcome to donate to help cover the cost of shipping, or the cost of materials.
Most important, let us all keep them continually in our prayers,
for a spirit of calm and peace to be among those people.

No comments: