Friday, November 19, 2010

Hummus

Hummus is one of my staples.  Abe and I eat it about every day.  We dip veggies or pita bread in it, or use it as a spread on sandwiches or bagels.  Just this week I blended in some chipotle peppers and cumin to make a bit of a smokey, spicy variation.  It is delicious.  I'll bet that there are millions more ways you could eat hummus.  I look forward to a lifetime of exploring hummus.  Sorry there's no quote from Andrew; he hasn't really given hummus a fair chance. Here's a quote from Abe when I handed him a carrot the other day:

"Mommy-o, we forgot the hummus!"


  Ingredients: 
·         1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
·         1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
·         3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
·         1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
·         2 cloves garlic, crushed
·         1/2 teaspoon salt
·         2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation: 
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.  Garnish with parsley and olive oil if you want.


  Variations:
Add to taste anything you like that you think would be fun.  Suggestions include: chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, steamed artichoke heart, curry powder, green onions, black or green olives, basil or pesto, roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, or whatever else you can think of!

2 comments:

Lara said...

Mmmmm, I love hummus! I have never been daring enough to make my own though. I may just have to try it.

Nikki said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I miss my dad's hummus and the brand they have at Costco here isn't the same one in SLC and it's no good. I've been looking for a good recipe, so I'll give this one a whirl. I ate hummus every day of my pregnant life with Coen. Y.U.M.