Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bobby McFerrin On Leadership

This weekend rocked. Friday: I came home to these signs (pictures taken after getting out of my bike get-up):


 To a movie party with (drumroll) hamburgers!
 Saturday: We went to Wesminster Park in DC to catch up with a friend and former colleague of mine. And they happened to be having a free neighborhood party, with free food, face painting, games, and a splashpad! Awesome! Only downside? We forgot the camera. But here are few phone pics. 


Later Saturday: we went to see one of the most remarkable concerts I've ever attended. This guy:


We had a terrific time. One of the things I took away from it was watching Bobby trust the audience. He let us sing with him! He was still leading, still guiding, still in control, but he wasn't afraid to relinquish some of his control for the good of the cause. And it made us all alive and connected us with the music and the mission of the evening in a way that would have otherwise been impossible. His trust in others to sing with him and improvise (he asked for volunteers from the audience to come up and literally jam out and improvise with him. We were in the balcony, so I was stuck) with him was also completely inspiring. Even on the finale we sang for parts of it (backed up by the amazing Afro Blue from Howard University! A once-in-a-lifetime experience!) Incidentally, it was all the more appropriate because we first saw Afro Blue at the DC Sculpture Garden almost exactly two years ago, an experience that helped us know and feel that DC was for us. Here's a sample of some of Bobby's awesomeness.




It was a blessing to be both a consumer of the finest vocalizations in the world while also being part of the production. I've thought a lot about producing and consuming recently. There is great value in both, and consumption of words, thoughts, ideas, music, film, art, sports, etc. ought to relate to the production of those same things in some measure. I have spent a great deal of time recently consuming. Reading the History of the Church, listening to TED talks, eating Ariel's delicious meals, etc. But I need to produce more to balance out.  Journal entries, blog posts, exercise routines, cooking, celloing, etc. It kind of relates to the idea of edifying vs. being edified. Some wards demand that long-time members spend more time edifying (producing) than being edified (consuming). Which ward-type is better? Ideally there is a healthy balance, I think. Though I have yet to find it in a church unit, most of which I have attended are heavy on one side or the other. How did I get from Bobby McFerrin to this?

Anyway, we had a rockin' good time at the DC Jazz Fest this weekend! 

A great weekend means a great week! Rock on.

2 comments:

Lark said...

I like your jazzy shirt and tie! Thanks for your thoughts on edifying and being edified.

L, M

Raymon said...

I liked watching your brain weave its way through all that thinking. In fact, I like your brain.