Sunday, September 14, 2008

We miss you, old friend


It's hard to lose something, or worse, have something stolen, that you love. Some inanimate objects take on characteristics and personality to which you grow attached. I've loved shoes and bouncy balls and blankets and stuffed animals in my life like real friends that I looked forward to seeing. Probably my best inanimate friend was our scooter, the Muskooteer, or Pookie the Scoots. He was stolen this weekend, at BYU Housing of all places. The BYU police are combing the area looking for him, but there is no word yet.

We whizzed around Salt Lake for the last year and a half almost every day. Zipping up and down hills on him always brightened my days. I looked forward to pushing off in the morning and singing my way to work or school on the little guy. I miss him.

We can't understand how someone could steal like that. They know we used it, and owned it, and yet still they took it. I sure feel sorry for them, and hope that they are caught, in part, because we'd love our scooter back, and in part because perhaps it would prompt them to turn over a new leaf, and not steal from others who could suffer more injury than we did. It really isn't worth a ton, but it sure was a trusty, 80-miles-to-the-gallon companion.

At the same time, it has caused us to realize how blessed and protected we are. Losing something you love makes you realize how much you love your family. Life goes on without scooters, or shoes, or bouncy balls . . . but life would not go on without Ariel and Abraham. I'm so glad that in an unsafe, insecure world, they're safe.

So that's that. Everything else is great. The MPA program here at BYU is stretching and demanding in ways I hadn't anticipated, but it's also invigorating to work this hard and think this much. My professors are genuine intellectuals, yet approachable and good-natured. As you can see, Abraham has picked up an intellectual look of his own.


And Ariel is beautiful, wonderful, and hard-working. She has a great gift for multi-tasking and organizing. Our home really feels like home, and there is no where else I ever want to be. She and Baby Ham are the best of friends.

Onward.

14 comments:

Eliza said...

I'm so sorry for your loss (NOT said in a sarcastic voice). I hope that the police are able to find Muskooteer safe and sound soon.

But on the up side, Mr. Abe is about the cutest grad student EVER!!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

My condolences for your loss; I hope your old friend is returned to you soon.
I'm glad little Hammy is turning out to be the scholar we always knew he'd be! It's only a matter of time before he follows his parents to the Y :).

Nonie said...

To Ham,

I hope I can be smout wike you! I'm ouwmost as ode now as you woe when I was bone. Maybe at Sanksgibing we can do da twick togevah. :)

Wuv Sam

P.S. I hope you find da scootah soon!

Anonymous said...

InDi!! Its Gidget!! I think its soo awesome I found your blog! Ur baby is adorable!! My blog is private so I need ur e-mail to add you!! U have a beautiful family!! I love and miss u!

Kate said...

Oh my I want to cry.I loved that thing. But I'm sure that they will find it...
And also- there is no way that that is actually Abraham's hair in that picture with the glasses. Is there? Hmmm...

Lara said...

How very sad. It is disappointing that there are people who do that sort of thing. Hopefully it finds its way back to you. Abraham's smile is so cute in that picture! He looks great in glasses :)

Megan said...

Eu sinto amigo. A mans bike is truly a loss. I hope they can find it for you. It's been a long time man. Congrats on the baby boy, he looks just like you it's amazing. We wish we could have come down for the mini reunion, but, you know. Plus I don't know if I would have recognized you with all that facial hair. I never would have imagined you with a full beard and all, but it looks good! I say keep it...even if Ariel doesn't like it all that much!!! Take it easy.
Ben

Candace said...

Most sincere condolences on the loss of your loved one. I wish you a quick recovery for you and your family. Our thoughts and well wishes shall follow you through this valley of darkness.

Thinking of you in your time of sorrow,

Candace

Andrew and Ariel said...

Candace,
Only you could have the sass to write that. Luckily you waited a few days, so I was able to read it with a smile. More grit than any girl I've ever seen.

Rita said...

someone stole my bike out of the back of my truck (with a topper on) that I had only ridden once! Provo is not as safe as you might think.

Manda said...

Is that you apartment? It's pretty big-looking...well compared to Nonie's anyway.

Celeste said...

I can't believe your scooter got stolen out of WYMOUNT! That makes me mad. Let me go find the culprits, I'll hunt them down for you. Those BYU police people are too busy giving people parking tickets or something...

Bobby said...

I'm in love with an MPA student. In other news, my iPod and digital camera were stolen from my car parked in front of my house this past August. I forgot to lock my car because I was helping an old woman carry some luggage into our house. I almost wish that I would've caught the thief in the act so I could've said, "Young man, aren't you forgetting the candlesticks?"