Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kid Stuff

When I get an exciting new thought or idea, I sometimes get so excited about it that I can't sleep. The past couple days I have been kept awake by the thought of kid things. I don't know if it's living with these fun Evans kids, or Abe walking and talking or being back in the area where I was a kid, but I just can't stop thinking about it! I'm moving into kid phase, and I think I have quite a few years ahead of me! Now, don't get me wrong- I love the baby phase. In fact, I love the baby phase so much, I never thought of the next step! I'm glad that I'm not done with babies and baby things, but I'm also glad to be having a kid!
Here are some of the things that got me excited:

Look at that! A little bed and guardrail just $60! How fun! I think I'm going to transition Abe to that when we move back to Provo.

And look! A little table and chairs for just $25!!! You can't beat that. Think of all the neat crafts they'll do at that table :)

Now I know you can't tell, but this is kid size. There was one in the kid area of a museum we went to, and Abe loved it! I thought it was so cute- it's the kid version of one we have in our living room (only it costs just as much).

And of course, all my favorite books! It won't be too long before Abe will understand what's going on in the books we read, and he already doesn't need just boardbooks anymore!

Now I'm excited! What books am I missing? What were your favorite books growing up?

8 comments:

Lara said...

There are a few on your list that I will have to check out. Here are some of my favorite reads growing up:
Black and White by David Macaulay
If At First You Do Not See by Ruth Brown
The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone
Jump, Frog, Jump! by Robert Kalan
The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith
Sloppy Kisses by Elizabeth Winthrop
Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
The Sneetches and Other Stories (specifically What Was I Scared Of? aka The Pale Green Pants) by Dr. Seuss
There are many more but those are just a few to get you started :)

Elisa said...

Anything by Don and Audrey Wood! They are a married couple who write illustrate books together, and they are WONDERFUL!!!

Some of my favorites by them are:
The Big Hungry Bear
Quick as a Cricket
Weird Parents
The Rainbabies
Piggies

So good!!! Let me know what you think. Love your blog! Such a handsome little guy!

Andrew said...

Wonderful list, love! I can't wait to read them all with Abe. Of course, we mustn't forget "Donald Had a Difficulty." That little chestnut had us on the floor laughing!

McKenzie said...

Don't forget "The Empty Pot" and "I'll Love You Forever!"

Natalie said...

Berenstain Bears!! I loved those books especially the Spooky Old Tree one! I'm there with ya! I am loving this coming into the kid phase!

Lark said...

May I put in another plug for "Donald"? There is a character with whom one can sympathize! I'm so glad that children help us not to grow up.I'm enjoying my third childhood. Thanks to you and Abe for making it fun.

Kate said...

You guys should buy some of my kids books for Abe! Oh my gosh I didn't even think about that. haha they are so cool. They teach kids all about their colors, shapes, numbers, and teach them how to read. And I'm not gonna give you a sales pitch here. But yeah. You should get them cause he will be the smartest kid ever if you do. haha but my fav book when I was little was Charlotte's Web. But that was in like kindergarten. I don't know what it was before that. Prob Liza Lou... sorry. Love you guys!

Scottish gal said...

Ferdinand the Bull is the first I remember. My grandfather taught me to read by letting me sit on the arm of his chair as he read the funnies to me every day -- underlining each word with his finger. When I was old enough to read for myself, it was A Child's Garden of Verse, books of nursery rhymes, and then the multi-volume series called My Book House. I recommend A Fly Went By for important moral teaching. Also What if Everybody Did? Younger and for fun A Hole Is to Dig.

It cheers me to think your Fathers Day video was shot by stationing your video camera on something and letting it roll. Important legal implications. Try playing it when it's not fully loaded into your computer's memory. Takes 7 minutes and is even more .... of itself.