Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bun-Bun and Being Scott

Before we do anything else, we want to introduce you to the latest addition of our family! Meet Bun-Bun. Ariel worked hard to bring her into the family, and I really appreciate her sacrifice. But seriously, I love Ariel's creativity. I find something new to love about Ariel every day--Bun-bun was this day's. Life is exciting with Ariel. And she got "Most Original Pumpkin" at the ward party.
Abe loves Bun-Bun.
Now, Halloween costumes: We were out of ideas when I remembered that my cousin Katie, who is in the MPA program with me, has access to authentic mountain man attire from her her dad, my Uncle Scott. Uncle Scott is one of the toughest men on earth and the toughest man I know. He kayaks over waterfalls, eats bear hearts for breakfast, and can outrun, out-hunt, out-fish, and probably out-live anyone around. People pay him to talk about how tough he is. Yep, he's that tough. Anyway, I was thrilled when Katie said Ariel and I could use some of his mountain man and woman duds for our Halloween costumes, authentic buckskin pants, vest, and dress. The MPA party had a "Fear Factor" challenge, to see who could eat the most cow heart and pickled pig feet. I wasn't sure if I would even compete, let alone win. But then I remembered that I was wearing Uncle Scott's buckskin. I knew then that I had to compete and I had to win. And I did. I even gave Abe a bite of the cow heart in true Scott-fashion. Thanks for the costume and inspiration, Uncle Scott. I may not look as tough as you, but I felt your strength through that elk skin.



Here we are: Jim Bridger, Sacajawea, and Ping. Jim ran into Jawea-Cakes (as he calls her) on the trail. They were soon wed, and adopted little Ping, who had already suffered greatly as a railroad worker in California. Now they're a happy family. Look at beautiful Jawea-Cakes.
But just in case any of you did think for a moment that I am tough, watch the below video. It shows how unmanly I am along with some of Abe's tricks.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

We are laughing hysterically! Blair misses your humor :(

Meredith said...

Can't wait to meet BunBun in person. Come visit us!!! Loved watching Abe run through the corn-pumpkin-land maze.

Rachel and Micah said...

Great mountain man attire; that's sacred clothing when the ensemble is completed with a coonskin hat. I'm glad to know I have a fellow mountaineer. Go WVU Mountaineers! You've proved your manliness not only by eating cow heart, but by fathering your new daughter so sentimentally :).

Kate said...

I have three points to make:
1) I have always been annoyed with older people than me that say "Whoa. You have gotten so much older since last time I saw you! You used to be this big!" And now I'm that person because I am still astounded by how grown up Abraham is now. I swear he was still a crying baby 2 months ago.
2) Andrew: You are hilarious and very tough
3) Ariel: You are truly creative, and attractive.
I love you guys!

Joe Marshall said...

Andrew, your fetish with Bun-Bun is reminding me of your fixation with a 3-inch tall Hawaiian native named Jarvis. A little creepy, but I still vote you put all your "birthday with Jarvis" pics on your blog asap. Thanks for the laugh.
P.S. Melissa wants to adopt Bun-Bun.

Eliza said...

Love the pacifier in Bun-Bun's mouth, very clever!

Lark said...

lol!!!

We are endeared to Bun-bun, thanks to you. The cow heart eating contest was clearly a good character-building exercise, sort of like dining at 1246 ;).

Nonie said...

Congratulations on your big win, Andrew! Knowing you, you couldn't help but win! When you put your mind to something, that's it. Those other guys didn't stand a chance.

Ariel, that is the cutest pumpkin!

Abe, that was the cutest "Boo!"

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness your uncle scott is the coolest man ever! He came and talked to my sixth grade class once! You guys are so great and Ariel is very creative, I am glad you had a fun halloween!

Whitney Hardie said...

The bun-bun video pushed me over the edge! I love it.

made sweet said...

oh my goodness. i love it. all of it.

abe is so adorable, bun-bun is the best pumpkin i've seen all season, and you all look great in buckskin. :)

oh, and Jawea-Cakes? soooo good.