Sunday, November 15, 2009

Music for Kids

We did have a lot of fun music growing up, but I think that the music in the "Children" genre has greatly improved since then.
I thought I'd post some of our favorite CDs we got for Abe, with some fun youtube music videos!
Our first artist is Elizabeth Mitchell. She's really great. The following two videos are from Catch the Moon (this one's with Lisa Loeb). We also have You Are My Little Bird, which is a cool CD because she performs with her husband and daughter.
Catch the Moon is a great two-in-one deal because the CD comes in a cute little board book!
Next plug is for any Putumayo Kids CD. We have Animal Playground. Putumayo has CDs from all over the world, and it's all very tasteful and very well selected. Animal Playground is "A multilingual collection of animal-themed songs from around the world." It's really cool. Abe's favorite song in the world is on this CD. We have literally listened to it twenty times in the last two days (which is why it really pays off to have kids songs and CDs that mom and dad like too!!).
Here This is the music video for Abe's favorite, "No More Monkeys."
We just checked out the Curious George Soundtrack from the library, and Abe and I both really like it. It's Jack Johnson, some of his more original stuff I think. Here's the "Upside Down" music video.
As far as lullabies go, one CD we like pretty well is "To My Child," a Beverly Mahood CD.
Other than that, our quiet-time music comes from our classical collection, as well as the music from the Children's Songbook. Here you can download for free all the songs from the Children's Songbook (as well as all the hymns, the scripture soundtracks (oh, didn't you know each book of scripture has it's own soundtrack?), young women's camp and other songs, and basically everything the Church has ever put out). We downloaded all the primary songs and put them on CDs. And what could be better than all the primary songs? It has also been nice for me to learn (or re-learn) all the primary songs for when I feel my internal lullaby-store is running low by the time I finally sing Abe to sleep. You can also download all the songs in Spanish, Portuguese, and French.
So, what other kids music have you found that you like?

6 comments:

Lara said...

I remember as a kid that I loved Raffi. However, I'm not sure if that caters to adults :) I've haven't listened to him as an adult so he may prove to be a bit annoying. But I'm planning on getting some Raffi for my kiddos anyway cause I remember how much I loved his songs.

Nonie said...

Those are fun, guys -- I'll have to check them out! Thank you for sharing! I liked some Raffi growing up... I think I actually like him more now, surprisingly. Sammy likes some songs a lot though. He also loves the Disney, muppets, Sesame Street, and jazz mixes I've put together for him. But I must admit that we listen to classical music almost all the time. When it's not on, he points to the radio and starts waving his arms. I love that he loves it. :)

Natalie said...

I know I love introducing Lincoln to music!!!! He loves the Children's songbook and Loves the Curious George CD too. Even though this isnt kid music he is in love with Michael Jackson's Thriller :) Which was introduced to him over Halloween... He can't get enough but I have, so its rare when he gets to listen to it anymore... ha ha. I thought I would throw out another cute CD called Steve Songs. They are fun little songs. Do you know the lullaby kent put music to? It's a beautiful one, and Lincoln's favorite bed time song ;)

Blair said...

Hi, it's me...I'm here. In your blog comment center. It's a tight fit, but I'm cool.
So, I've been looking online for hopes of glistening my ear buds with some portuguese sotaque and I found this link http://cvc.instituto-camoes.pt/aprender-portugues.html . There are fun games and quizzes on there, but I found something I thought Abe might like. http://cvc.instituto-camoes.pt/aprender-portugues/a-ler/era-uma-vez-um-rei.html
Check it out. It's a book, narrated and filled with songs about the first Kings of Portugal. I've only listened to one and it had me in rollin'
Hope things are well!?!
Love you Guys!
B.
Do you guys do skype?
ka-tchau.

Lark said...

Remember Tom Chapin! "Can't get enough of that alphabet soup!"

Nikki said...

I have a thing for Raffi! I remember listening to him with Sarah Jane on the way to and from Vegas when they lived there. He's old school but I grew up with him, waiting until the day I could share his songs with my kids.

I also really like Brady Rhymer (sp?). He has catchy, up-beat lyrics pertaining to all things kid.

And we too love the Putumayo CDs!

I find a lot of stuff at the library and put it on iTunes.

My blogger friend, Jenni, is a WONDERFUL musician and just came out with a lullaby album you should check out. I'm not sure of her music website, but her blog is on my blog roll under "The Belly Diaries" and I think she has a link to it there where she's having a Christmas sale on them. I have her first CD, Key of Sea and it's so soothing sometimes it's the only thing that gets Coen to sleep.