Sunday, October 24, 2010

West Indian Vegetable Curry

Sorry for the lack of recipes!   I have a lot that I've been meaning to post, but we've been out of town!  (More on that later.)  For now, here's a recipe I did a while ago that Andrew wanted me to post.  Sorry, I didn't take this picture.

"But she may as well have.  This dish was almost as gorgeous as the one who made it. I ate this up.  I ate a lot of it up. I may or may not have had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner--at least lunch and dinner  . . . twice.  Make a lot, 'cause you'll want a lot." 


West Indian Vegetable Curry
This recipe also comes from Cooking Light. I wasn't sure what "calabaza" was, but it's pumpkin in Spanish, so that's what I used.  I'm of the liberal view that most squash in interchangeable.  If you want a hotter version, mince the habanero.  We served it over rice.

1 tablespoon olive oil
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic), divided
1 1/3 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
1 habanero pepper
3 cups cubed peeled calabaza or hubbard squash (about 1 pound)
1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 3 cups)

Yield:  7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 105 (21% from fat); FAT 2.5g (sat 0.4g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.4g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 64mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.1g; SODIUM 465mg; PROTEIN 2.6g; FIBER 5.7g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2007
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add yellow onion and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add 1 cup broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add remaining 1 cup broth and carrot; sauté 5 minutes.
Pierce habanero with a fork; add to pan. Stir in squash, tomato, and zucchini; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Discard habanero; simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

2 comments:

haley said...

I am making this dish next week! I'm excited! I'll let cha know what I think.
And, we did make the lemon pasta dish you posted a while ago. Todd hated it. He apparently has a very strong aversion to lemon-flavored pasta. I liked it.

haley said...

Well, we made this recipe and we liked it enough. However, I don't know if it will make a comeback. Thanks for posting it though. I appreciate the veggie-friendly recipes.