Friday, January 28, 2011

Nonie's Butternut Squash Soup

"You may like butter, nuts, and squash, but you ought to try them together in soup form! When I first saw this soup a couple years back, my skin crawled. But after one spoonful, I had the remarkable experience of acquiring a comfort food on first taste." -Andrew

I know everyone's got their own butternut squash soup, but I didn't until a few years ago.  And this soup is special because it's from my sister-in-law who got it on her mission in France
It's really easy and tasty.  If you want to omit the cream, for health reasons, I think it's still really tasty.

Butternut Squash Soup
INGREDIENTS:
Butter
Butternut squash
A few potatoes
2-3 leeks
salt/pepper
about 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
cream or half n' half, no more than 1 cup
fresh chives
more pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Peel and cube the squash and potatoes.  Melt butter in a big pot and add squash/potatoes.  Add salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes.  Add the leek and saute a couple more minutes.  Add chicken broth.  Simmer until tender, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and blend the soup.  Stir in half and half.  Serve, add chives/black pepper, and eat hot! 

3 comments:

Kate said...

I LOVE the new additions to your blog! Abe quotes= a must. And I want the picture on the top hanging on my wall. You guys are adorable.

Buchfam said...

Oh, I am so excited to have this recipe! I have been thinking about it ever since you made it for us that time! We miss you guys! I hope you are doing really great!!

Nonie said...

I just saw this post! Thanks for the tip of the hat! I love this soup too.

Don't omit the cream (that fat is good for you!). If possible, you can throw a dollup of crème fraîche (cultured cream) in your bowl when you're ready to eat, in lieu of adding cream to the whole pot. That's what they do in Belgium and France. :)

You make me want to make it again.