Sunday, August 1, 2010

Nonna

A couple of years ago we had many friend write tributes to Mom Galli for her birthday. I want to share some snippets of some to supplement this post.

"Lark not only taught me principles of laundry, she taught me how to dress. I was all over the fashion map. She showed me how to pick out something to wear that would last for years and would manifest a little common sense. She showed me that one can clean a kitchen floor even when one isn’t feeling well."

Over the past two weeks she has given herself to us in every way. The fact that she hopped on a plane the moment she heard Ariel was in labor proves her great love, and how much more she cares for relationships and service than her own time and resources. From the moment she arrived and bought us a celebratory dinner and dessert, to the moment she left, having recently folded our laundry, she gave everything for our happiness. And much of that has included practical, temporal assistance. From making our meals to organizing our home to generously supporting us to doing our laundry, she did not stop serving for two weeks. She has, as one tribute put it, an "enthusiastic tenacity." Along the way we learned more about how to make a bookcase safe, how to make more space in a kitchen, how to clean up dinner right after eating, and how to serve without regard to reward.

"Lark gathers stories of her loved ones and biographies of friends. Then she beautifully rewrites them preserving lives and history in greater poetic form than they were actually lived."

This is certainly the case for us. She has kept a wonderful record in words and images, and shared it with the family on the Galli Gals blog. Her lively writing skills have immortalized these two weeks, and for that we're grateful. Though, Nonna, you didn't give quite enough drama to the downtown diaper dilemma. :)


"She befriends those in need, generously giving of time and means. She is sensitive -- hears what is subtle, sees beneath the surface -- and responds kindly. I have to say she is wise."

Mom makes friends with everyone, naturally and easily. She now knows more of our neighbors than we do and made a friend of everyone in our ward with her beautiful smile and lovely countenance. We have enjoyed learning from Mom for these two weeks. We have talked about everything. She has shared many insights on parenting, the gospel, politics, and health. Not only that, but she has listened intently to our many opinions and thoughts. We have engaged in hours of fruitful dialogue over the two weeks, and received immeasurable edification.


"Lark reminds me of the saying attributed to Mother Theresa, 'You can do a lot of good in the world if you don't care who gets the credit.'

She asked me not to write this post. She never asked for credit, never pointed out everything that she had done. We're still discovering different things Nonna has done for our home. She lives a disciple's life.




"Lark is a lover of all things good. She is a seeker and a sharer of truth. She is authentic. She is intelligent, thoughtful and refined. Her goodness and good works heal and inspire. Like the parable of the candle on a hill -- Lark's light, the light of a lovely lady illuminates and warms the world around her."

This is true. And we miss her. We miss her healing love and sage advice. We miss her temporal support and spiritual strength. And Abe and Ben miss her too. She and Abe went on daily adventures, from the temple to the farmer's market to the community garden (and we all had a great time at the fantastic Norman Rockwell exhibit at the American Art Museum, the Zoo, and the pool). They were inseparable. And Ben became quickly familiar with his Nonna's loving arms. Abe now calls our front room "Nonna's room." And so it shall be.

Somehow she managed to serve us, have fun with us, document it all and just spend quality time with us and the boys. She made it seem like time didn't mean anything, and that there was time for everything. That is a key trait of a disciple. We love you, Mom. Come back soon!


7 comments:

Jamie said...

I think that is the sweetest tribute I have read in a long time. She kind of reminds me of my own mother...I'm sure Ariel, you are just like her in every way!

Lark said...

Readers, beware--you know that Andrew's pen is prone to exaggeration at times because of his generous heart. Thanks for the privilege of being with you, Ariel and your little boys the past couple of weeks. I know Grandmama, Grandfather and Babba would love to have joined us, and none of them would have embarrassed you by sweating too much when your friends were over. I love you all.

Meredith said...

What a miracle your Nonna is. I feel I have experienced all of these qualities in her first hand as I have interacted with her over the years. She knows how to make time stop while she focuses on a person, making him or her feel as though they were the only important thing in her universe. It's her super power. How blessed you are to have had her with you these few weeks!

Meredith

p.s. I can't wait until I can sit in "Nonna's room" and play with babies Abe and Ben. Hopefully soon!

Nonie said...

"Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind." (Elder Holland, Ministry of Angles)

I'd say you had an angel with you those wonderful weeks. We have many times felt naturally that Lark was our own mother-in-law instead of our brother's. What a friend.

~N

Eliza said...

Ariel's mother is extraordinary. When I went on Sea Trek all on my own as a fresh 18 year old, she took me under her wing and was like a second mother to me. I will always love and appreciate her for that. I'm so glad you were able to have two wonderful weeks with her.

Anna Peterson said...

I have felt many, if not all of those same things about Lark. Whenever I went to their house as a friend of Hannah's, I loved seeing her. She always has kind words, happy laughter, a sincere compliment waiting for you whenever you see her. Thank you for sharing that beautiful post. We love you Lark!

Jan Marshall said...

I'm jealous of Lark, for her time with Ben;
I'm jealous of Ben for his time with Lark;
I'm jealous of Lark for her time with Abe;
I'm jealous of Abe for his time with Lark;
I'm jealous of Lark for her time with AandA;
I'm jealous of AandA for their time with Lark;

I'm so glad I have Lark to share all the feelings of the Mother's heart -- and I'm sure all mothers all jealous of me, that I get to balance the sharing with such a one as Lark. I do love you dear friend. Thank you for all you have done for AaAb ... thus for me.
Andrew's Mom.