Sunday, August 29, 2010

The One and Only . . .


Ariel has accomplished a lot in her 25 years of life. As a belated birthday tribute I want to highlight some of her accomplishments, attributes, and gifts. As I did with our tribute to Mom Galli, this will all be supplemented with words of friends and family who filled out her birthday survey. Also, this post does not even touch the tip of the Ariel Glacier. For example, it does not speak to her love of the outdoors nor her zaniness. So I chose pictures in an attempt to fill in the gaps.

Health and Fitness.

"She has always been the BEST example to me and I've always look up and admired her. She kept us all fed, and healthy. She kept us all in good shape whether we liked it or not."

Ariel is the best at keeping me and the boys fed and healthy. And somehow vegetarian dishes that by name seem daunting (the Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches we had the other day, for example) turn out completely delicious under Ariel's masterful culinary hand. Her love of health has driven us to an almost vegetarian diet (we have meat on Sundays and when we go out to eat . . . or rather, I do). This positive change for our family only could have happened under Ariel's leadership. Not only that, but she has also been the one encouraging me to bike to work, and she takes the time to do Power90 or yoga or walking with her boys every day.

Mothering.

"Ariel really is the best mother and I always look up to her example and try my best to be like her."

"We miss you and think you are the greatest mom!"

"You've also been a great example to me as I watch you be a mother. I hope that I can be half as wise and calm as you are as a mother."

"Poster girl for a mega modern pioneer mom."

These are just a few of the comments offered about Ariel's uncanny, intuitive ability to mother. She knows how to have fun (Abe's become quite an artist with his easel Ariel recently bought him), knows how to teach (Abe's Spanish vocabulary has grown rapidly recently as he has asked Ariel what different words mean in Spanish. She has instilled this desire to learn in Abe), she shares the gospel (Abe knows very well who Jesus is, who President Monson is, and can sing any number of songs from the Children's Song Book), and offers practical advice (Abe thanked a woman today for giving him some water, and when she didn't respond, he said, "say, 'You're welcome.'"). Cool sentence. I really am in awe of the indefatigable, loving mother that she is. She attends night and day to her boys and is molding them for the eternities.


Thinking.

"I also love her deep and wide thinking; I love hearing what she's been rolling around in her head and sharing thoughts and ideas."

"I have particularly enjoyed the many thoughtful discussions I've had with Ariel on health issues -- childbirth (and parenting), nutrition, and green living. She is eager to share what she is learning and interested in the insights of others as well."

"I remember home teaching Ariel and always being very impressed by her wisdom and insights."

"I always loved every time I had the chance to talk to Ariel about almost any topic. She's so smart! I always came away feeling edified, even if we were talking about something that we disagree about, which I think is pretty amazing!"

I really like this one below.

"How much one can learn from an hour with Ariel! The best part is that when you're with her you're never just cooking, or just hiking, or just cleaning or packing! Every activity comes with magnificent, thought-provoking, world-enhancing discussion. Conversations with Ariel are like lighted sparklers on the 4th of July: they make you want to dance, and spin around, and write words in the air like magic... and how badly you want them never to burn out."

I truly never tire of conversation with Ariel. Her mind churns out inspired thoughts faster than McDonald's serves hamburgers. She has wit, intellect, depth, and thoughtfulness. I know where to go when I have a question about the layout of a powerpoint slide or a team issue at work. I love learning from her enlightened mind.


People Skills.

"Something I love about Ariel is that she completely lacks that strange competitiveness than many girls have. She's so easy and comfortable to be around and puts people immediately at ease."

"She is open and kind, un-endingly hospitable, and effortlessly beautiful to the core. I hit the jackpot meeting Ariel in that quad - she is a wonderful friend to have."

"She has always been so personable, hospitable, easy going and just really buena gente."

"I think Ariel could find herself at home in any culture and in any situation."

"She is so comfortable with herself, and so easy to love. She fits right in with anyone she is around."

So this section is something of a hodge-podge, but it captures well how easy-going, hospitable, and comfortable she is. She doesn't need fancy clothes, make-up, or be caught up on the latest TV shows to fit in with people. She goes beyond that. Her connections to others are deep. And she is irresistible in that way, because when you come in contact with Ariel you connect. I have seen her interact with people from different countries, with different religious beliefs, in different cultures and she never fails to see the divine in all. She brings all she comes in touch with a little closer to our heavenly heritage and our divine destination.

Service.

"I watch her with amazement as she involves herself in Andrew's school and work, giving valuable ideas and encouragement."

"I stood by as she served with Andrew in the inner city, and tackled life changing tasks for the Young Women and Young Men of their ward, as well as helping and loving all the members there."

"Ariel helped me ACE my Africa test in 9th grade. She stayed up with me late at night teaching me a song of the countries. I got the highest score in the class! It was a sacrifice for her, I'm sure, but I've never seen her complain about helping someone who needs something."

"I will always remember how much Ariel helped me out when my husband was in the hospital last semester. She watched my son all day long one day and lots of other times. She even fed him dinner and changed him into Abe's pijamas! She also made dinner for us. Then when I was waiting to have my second she was so sweet to go on long labor inducing walks with me and share all of her childbirthing secrets (which I totally credit as a big reason for why my labor was so quick and easy)!"

Whereas most of us need reminders to go about doing good, Ariel needs reminders to take time for herself. Her most natural, comfortable, dependable state is when she is serving others. That may be inviting people over for dinner (which she has done this week), inviting people over to stay (which she has done this week), feeding, teaching and loving her children, making me happy in any and every way possible, sending happy texts to family members with funny things Abe says, or any number of other things. She gives constant glory to God by serving her fellowman. And I've really got to keep huffing and puffing behind before she's translated and leaves me in the dust.



A Perfect Mix.

"You are a perfect mix of refinement and adventure, and will forever be a model for me."

"A quarter of a century isn't very long really, but you have certainly made your mark in just a few years. You've had adventures in Spain, Mexico, graduated from college, gotten married, guided your husband through graduate school, had two beautiful children, served an inner-city mission, and a host of other things."

She is a perfect mix. And she has done a lot. She's seen the world, studied the world, played soccer and lacrosse, become advanced in acoustic guitar, graduated with honors, served two inner-city missions, served in numerous other church capacities, worked professionally, had two children, and changed countless lives. As one survey participant put it, "I've seen her step smiling into the shadows and allow others to shine." I have seen her do this all day, every day. I'm grateful to have a forum to bring her into the light she deserves. I love you. I love you. I love you, Ariel.

8 comments:

Nonie said...

I was hoping you'd share some of the feedback you got, Andrew. That was a fun and inspiring post to read.

We love you, too, Ariel!

Jamie said...

That was the sweetest tribute! I'm sorry I didn't have time to fill out the survey...I wanted to! Let me just add, that Ariel, we haven't been around each other too much, but I still feel like we are close friends. You have the sweetest, warmest, most angelic smile and the light of Christ emanates from your eyes. And in all reality, isn't that what we're all striving for? You already have it. :)

Young People in Love said...

darling post for a darling gal.

Jan Marshall said...

Amen. I say Amen to all said here about Ariel. What can I say more. Just thank you for being so good to my boys, who are your boys. And... just thank you for being so GOOD.

Jan Marshall said...

Amen. I say Amen to all said here about Ariel. What can I say more. Just thank you for being so good to my boys, who are your boys. And... just thank you for being so GOOD.

Nikki said...

What beautiful remarks about this amazing woman! I, too, admire you and look up to you in so many ways. I wish we lived close so I could learn from you and pick your brain. I would like to think we'd be great friends and have wonderful conversations.

Meredith said...

This was a perfect tribute Andrew. I'm so glad I have Ariel forever! Thanks for sharing her.

Lark said...

Ariel Beatrice, somehow my earlier comment was lost. I love all the yous this represents. You taught Laurel so truly when you said that we can be all the ages we have been as we go along. You carry them all so beautifully, and with such a golden thread of Ariel running through. Dad and I love you much, much, much.