Sunday, September 26, 2010

Moroccan Chickpea Chili

"If I were Moroccan, and I wanted chili, I would look no further. But I'm not Moroccan, or even close to passing for one. The good news is, if I were American, and it happened to be the first day of fall, there couldn't be a better dish after a long day." -Andrew

This recipe comes from a Cooking Light magazine. My dear sister-in-law, Nonie, gave me a subscription in 2007. I have kept all 12 magazines and regularly refer to them. I love looking at the magazine for ideas, because it's like a cookbook that refreshes itself monthly with seasonal dishes!


I have used the picture from the magazine (and website). Is that cheating? Their pictures always look so much nicer than mine. If you have an opinion, let me know if you'd rather see the nice presentation, or just a snapshot of the food after I make it.

Also, this dish recommends lavash as a side, but Andrew made a delicious cornbread that went beautifully well with the chili. I'm sure a lavash would have been great, but we were fresh out over here ;)

And don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list, they're mostly spices. And I'm sure you could leave a few out and it would still be good.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup prechopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

(Oops, I just realized I forgot the cilantro and lemon. It was good anyway, but I'm sure it would have been better with.)

Preparation
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and next 7 ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups water, tomato paste, chickpeas, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and juice.

1 comment:

Nonie said...

That's fun that I should get a recipe from you that you originally got from me (sorta...). I made this one yesterday and it was a hit.

One interesting thing: I soaked my own chickpeas, for about 20 hours, then cooked them for nearly 2 more, then let them simmer with the chili for almost 1 more! And after all that, they still had a slight crunch to them, which really was okay, but I didn't think they were supposed to be like that. Maybe that's why some people peel them first. Are the canned ones peeled, do you know?

Funnily enough, I also left out the cilantro and lemon, even though I had them right there! I probably tripled the batch though, so I'll it today. :)

Thanks for the great recipe, Ariel!

By the way, sounds like Andrew has a good thing going with the cornbread, but in case you're interested, I used this soaked cornbread recipe. It's from a site I just discovered and really like: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/04/chili-cornbread.html