Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why I Love Our Government

This morning, in my role at work as the FedExperience Program Coordinator, I spoke with eight agency representatives, all of whom are committed to improvement in their recruiting and retaining of experienced workers in order to further their agency's missions and make life better for all of us.

And tonight, at the Service to America Awards Gala that the Partnership for Public Service throws every year, I felt inspired, excited, and grateful. So much so that I wrote this blog post on the metro while riding home. The government as an institution is essential. I'm grateful for the security, leadership, regulation, and law that it offers. I recognize and try to remember that we depend on our government for clean water, for smooth roads, for scientific and medicinal discoveries, assistance to the poor here and across the world, safety, and countless other goods and services. But why I love public service particularly is because it is just that: service. It is service to fellowman.
Tonight the Partnership celebrated nine deserving individuals who have worn out their lives and careers in service to us. I was lucky enough to get to know and interact a great deal with Pius Bannas, the winner of the Federal Employee of the Year Award. This man spent (and spends) literally day and night providing Haitian children with the chance to finally embrace their adoptive parents in the United States, and he expedited the process for 1,100 to do just that immediately following the earthquake. I took a tour of the White House yesterday, and while getting a wave from Michelle Obama was very cool (it did happen, by the way), walking and learning from Pius marked me for good.



He, along with many other civil servants do the work they do because they care. It sounds cliche, but they really do care about people, about society, about our earth (here, here, and here), about human rights, about safety, and about our future.

I love my job, and am committed to public service. It is an honor to be part of a first-class nonprofit that revitalizes the federal government by inspiring a new generation to serve and by changing the way government works.

Let's hear it for public service.

2010 Federal Employee of the Year from Partnership for Public Service on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Lark said...

Andrew, Thank you for this post. How easily we let go of the blessings of government service in focusing always on what must be better. Imagine the shift our country would take if we stopped to appreciate all that works in the system, and the good people who make it work so much of the time. Today I heard a description of the chaos that reigns in an airport in a country where only those who bully themselves to the front get helped, leaving the less-aggressive and weaker people waiting until last, every day. In America we have an expectation, and often the experience of fairness and order. That's something to celebrate. We love you and love what you're doing at the Partnership.

Meredith said...

Thanks Andrew (and Lark!). I completely concur. I really love our country, and especially because of those people who devote their lives to making it better. Like you! I love you.

Julia Marshall said...

Nice threads Andrew! I, too, am grateful for our government, and I'm glad for the part you're playing in it! You are in a very neat place and I'm excited for you and all of the things you're doing!
Love you!

Jeff St. Clair said...

I agree, great suit. Whoever it belongs to has GREAT taste in clothing.